*An asterisk indicates that the item was in the Original 50.
July 2003; We took a bike ride through Central Park and midway through the ride, the skies opened up and the rain came down. It was simply glorious, and the sewers steamed.
2. Snowboard Alyeska*
March 2004; I went with my church group. I was so sore the next day, but it was one of the most fun times I’ve ever had snowboarding, even with the major collisions.
3. Get a 1400+ on the SAT I*
January 22, 2005; West High School. I studied for six solid days before this, taking a full SAT every day. It was killer, but I gained 90 points from my previous two scores.
4. Learn to speak Arabic
February – April, 2005; Thanks to Rami, I mastered the basics of the language well enough to read it and understand occasional words. I still need some work though.
5. Tie a cherry stem in a knot with my tongue*
May 13, 2005; I did this while sitting at Garcia’s with my parents and brothers, eating dinner. I had been trying for weeks and was successful. Gané yo!
6. Hold the strings of a truck-sized kite, when it is in the air
June 29, 2005; Audrey convinced me to go do this by tricking me into thinking we were going towards the mall, making a few sharp left turns, and asking for me. But it was fun!
7. Adopt a pet from a shelter
July 29, 2005; My family adopted a Brittany Spaniel named Lacey from the pet shelter in town. This counts temporarily, until I adopt an animal of my own.
August 20, 2010; She didn’t come from a shelter, but my kitten Dexter was a stray outside the movie theater where I work. I gave her a home, she gave me her company!
8. Go skydiving*
August 6, 2005; Wasilla, AK. The craziest and most fun thing I have ever done in my life, the best part was the backflip away from the plane, even if that was the scariest thing, too.
July 12, 2008; Brooklyn, IA. Round 2! Absolutely amazing. Now I’m hooked, and next time I’m going alone…
9. Stand in the middle of a thunderstorm*
September 8, 2005; I ran outside with some of the other girls in my residence hall and we danced and cheered in the storm. I then waited for the huge storm to come. It was amazing and scary!
10. Run through a corn field/sunflower field*
October 9, 2005; My famliy and I went to a Pumpkin Farm over Family weekend, and they had a corn maze. My brothers and I deviated slightly from the corn maze path to run through the rows of corn.
11. DJ a dance party
January 14, 2006; There was a Swimmer House 80’s Dance Party and Erik Larson turned the computer with music over to me and I DJed the rest of the party. It was fun to get good dance songs for people and fill requests and dedicate songs!
12. Win a swim race and get the gold medal for it
February 12, 2006; I won 1st place in the 100 freestyle and Midwest Conference 2006. It was an amazing feeling to pull ahead and just blast away the mean girl swimming next to me.
13. Learn how to hula-hoop*
January 30, 2007; Grinnell, IA. I learned to hula hoop while teaching swim lessons! I was on deck with a hula hoop for an hour waiting to use it for diving, and I decided to learn.
14. Hold a tarantula
March 28, 2007; I was at the Butterfly Pavilion in Denver and they had a tarantula named Rosie. I held her! She was surprisingly light and tickly.
15. Design, make and wear my own piece of clothing
August 20, 2007; I took an old pair of jeans and converted them into a skirt that I love wearing all time time!
16. See a tornado and hear it growl
August 14, 2008; Driving home from Amy’s birthday dinner at Casa, we looked out the window to see this tiny funnel cloud swoop down and then suck back up into the storm above it. It doesn’t quite fulfill the criteria, but it will do for now!
17. Get a tattoo
September 11, 2008; Went to the local tattoo parlor and got Kokopelli on my foot. It hurt like hell, but I think it looks pretty good!
April 23, 2009: I got the laurel leaves, the symbol of my school, on my inner left heel. I got it to commemorate the four years I swam at Grinnell and won the 100 free, as there are four leaves.
March 10, 2010 – Orange phoenix and yellow Alaskan stars.
18. Get in a mud fight*
September 2008 – With Josie, Caitlin and Marco, outside Langan in Mac Field.
19. Get arrested for something minor
August 22, 2009 – DUI. Not exactly minor, but it fits the bill, and I don’t plan on repeating it.
20. Get my fortune told*
October 29, 2011 – The local ‘Pyramid of Enlightenment’ was hosting their annual Halloween Psychic Fair, so I went and had a short Tarot reading. It was certainly and interesting experience!
21. Live in a ‘flat’ in London*
September 14, 2012 – After a long three weeks staying with friends, I finally received the key to my flat in Tower Hamlets, a short walk from the Tower of London, in East London. Brilliant, wonderful, home.
22. Go to Scotland
November 2-4, 2012 – I spent the weekend in Edinburgh with friends from school, and even got the chance to drive up into the Highlands to enjoy the cool weather and an amazing pub meal.
23. Recite Caesar’s speech on the steps of the Colosseum*
December 24, 2012 – Well, I didn’t recite the speech. That would have been weird, with everyone around. I did relax on the stairs, watching the sun go down over the Colosseum. That’s good enough for me.
24. Celebrate St. Patty’s with the Irish
March 17, 2013 – Spent the day in Dublin with some friends, wearing an absurd amount of green. We drank beer and whiskey and Shamrock Shakes with Bailey’s and watched the parade down the main streets of Dublin.
25. Walk on the Great Wall of China*
May 8, 2013 – On my trip to Shanghai, I took a day to go to Beijing. While there, we climbed the Juyonguan Pass, which was a huge stairwell to the top of a mountain. The views were smoggy but the whole experience was still awe-inspiring.
Places to Go:
26. Take a Caribbean Cruise*
27. Sail through the Bermuda Triangle*
28. Scale the wall of the Grand Canyon*
29. Ride with a gondolier guy in Italy*
30. Hike Symphony Lakes trail (Alaska)*
31. Go to a New Years Party in NYC*
32. Scuba-dive in the Great Barrier Reef*
33. Ride Splash Mountain in Disneyworld*
34. Bike to Eklutna Glacier (Alaska)*
35. Attend a Broadway show with front-row seats*
36. Sit in/on the Dead Sea*
37. Set two feet firmly on Antarctica*
38. Backpack in the Andes in Peru*
39. Drive from Maine to California*
40. Swim in the Mediterranean Sea*
41. See Punxsatawney Phil on Groundhog’s Day
42. Swim in all five of the Great Lakes – Superior (June 2009), Michigan (August 2010)
43. Visit the Taj Mahal
44. Get a picture with the pyramids and ride a camel*
45. Walk the ‘walk of fame’*
Things to Do:
46. Ride the ejection seat*
47. Sign an autograph for someone*
48. Successfully prepare a souffle*
49. Learn to play the bagpipes*
50. Watch a Harry Potter eight-movie-marathon*
51. Learn fluent Latin*
52. Learn to fly a float-plane and land on a lake*
53. Go see the Olympics*
54. Swim with dolphins and/or stingrays*
55. Go pearl diving and keep my findings*
56. Swim 100 yd. butterfly in less than 1:00*
57. Buy my own video camera*
58. Star in my own movie*
59. Kiss the boy underwater*
60. Compete in a triathlon alone*
61. See my written work published and on a bookshelf*
62. Buy my Saturn Sky Convertible*
63. Read the Bible, Book of Mormon, Torah, & Qua’ran
64. See a volcano erupt and see a lava flow/pyroclastic cloud
65. Drop a tomato off a building
67. See a crop circle
68. Have a conversation with Catherine about why
69. Give a speech at a Graduation
70. See the Triple Crown, all in one year
71. Ride a mechanical bull for at least 45 seconds
72. Learn how to surf
73. Bulls-eye an archery target from 100m
74. Drive over 120 mph
75. Drive a tractor